The small intestine performs the final function of digesting the food. It absorbs beneficial nutrients from the partially digested food and passes the rest of undigested harmful matter into the large intestine for excretion. For maximum absorption, the intestine has increased surface area owing to several finger-like inward projections called villi. For absorption, the walls of the intestine are permeable. When the permeability increases abnormally, toxic substances leak through the intestinal lining into the blood. This condition is termed leaky gut syndrome.
The leaky gut syndrome has several irritable symptoms-
- Bloating- when toxins leak into the bloodstream, it causes an inflammatory reaction. Bloating can be relieved using digestive enzymes or ginger tea as they possess anti-inflammatory properties.
- Constipation- Probiotics help with the digestion of food. Leaky gut disturbs the bacterial flora of the bowel, and increased pathogen level causes constipation. It can be relieved by using Docusate sodium drugs or a cup of warm milk in mild cases.
- Stress- Disturbed bowel hinders excretion, and a person suffering from it is not at ease. They are not able to concentrate due to constant disturbance.
- Diarrhea- It is also a result of disturbed and imbalanced good and bad bacteria levels in the intestine. Rehydration and anti-diarrheal tablets help relieve diarrhea.
- Skin problems- The toxins that get leaked into the blood from excreta get absorbed into the cells, which show on our skin as rashes, acne, whiteheads, etc.
Other symptoms include joint pain, eczema, headaches, etc.
To treat the symptoms is not treating the problem. For the root cause of the problem, you need a special diet called leaky gut supplements. These supplements nourish the body with deficient nutrients, which caused the leaky gut. The prime supplements for the effective regulation of bacteria in the gut are L-glutamine, probiotics, and vitamin D.
Some of the leading leaky gut supplements are-
- COA’s Performance Probiotic- This probiotic is formulated to target good bacteria’s growth and strengthening of the immune system. It has digestive enzymes, probiotic bacteria, vitamin-D3, and inulin. These ingredients have beneficial effects on the overall health of the gut-healing tears in the intestinal lining, regulated bacterial flora, etc.
- Probulin’s Total Care Probiotic is one of the most advanced formulas for probiotics among all the leaky gut supplements. Fibrous foods are advised for gut health as they ease the digestion process and prove to be less stressful for the gut. This probiotic is fiber-based and targets the bacterial levels inside the gut. It eliminates pathogens and makes the environment hospitable for good bacteria. It is synthesized from bifidobacteria, isotonic (electrolytes) bacteria, seaweed extract, and prebiotics.
- Vitauthority’s SBO Probiotics + Greens- This soil-based organism (SBO) probiotics supplement strengthens the immune and digestive system. It nourishes your body and increases stamina. It also relieves symptoms like inflammation and bloating. It supports the growth of good bacteria to improve gut health. It is formulated from organic spirulina, kale, spinach and broccoli, and bacillus coagulans- the soil-based organisms.
- Lyfefuel’s Super Probiotic Ultra Strength- This is a very effective mood balancer drug besides its helpful effects on the gut. It works by reducing stress and igniting the growth of good bacterial flora. Prebiotic fibers, lactobacillus, and Bifidobacterium strains are used to develop this supplement’s formula.
It is a healthy practice to maintain good gut health as it promotes hygiene too. Leaky gut is an irritable condition and can be embarrassing too. Keeping up a balanced diet and regular workout regime will help in improving gut health. But nowadays, jobs require round-the-clock desk work, so this is where the leaky gut supplements come in handy.